Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

How To Prepare, Train, & Finish Long Distance Runs



I'm not a born runner. My first run was with my dad when I was fourteen years old. My PE class had an assignment to run a mile in under fifteen minutes. I had no clue if I could do that. So my dad started running with me to practice. Years later, I took up long distance running on a dare. A friend of mine, who has run several marathons, told me that anyone could run a marathon; it's a mental challenge more than a physical one. I didn't believe her, so I signed up for a half marathon. 

Since then I have run six half marathons. While I'm still not sure if I'm a "runner", I have grown to love the sport, but more for the mental challenge than the physical challenge. Go figure. 


Here are 10 life lessons that I have learned from running: 


1. You need to have a purpose or goal. Because I don't have running in my genes, I need a race to train for to get me out on the pavement. Having a goal helps keep my motivation high. Running with a purpose keeps me competitive, even if it's just with myself.

2. Training needs to be done in order. Start where you are and work your way forward. If you haven't run in years, don't go out and try to run five miles. Don't wear yourself out before you even begin. What changes can you make today to get you on your way? Push yourself, don't exhaust yourself. 

3. Every run is important. Your first training run is as important as the last one.  You can't slack off for the first six weeks of training and then hope to make up for it in the last six. Conversely, you can't start off like a champ and fizzle towards the end. Be constant and steady. Focus on every run. 

4. Always keep moving. Some days running feels easy. And some days, running feels like you're dying a slow and painful death. But keep moving. You may need to walk or slowly jog but do not stop.  It hurts way worse to stop, trust me. Keep moving forward.

5. Don't focus on someone else's treadmill. During my training, I'd get to the gym at 5:30 am and notice the person next to me was already three miles into their run. My first thought was always, what kind of crazy person has already run three miles at 5:30 am?! Then, I would start running, already depressed that my treadmill didn't say I was three miles in. But that person put in the time to be three miles further than I was. Whenever I've put in the time to do so, I've always hit the three mile mark. Focus on your own efforts, not what other's are doing. 

6. Only think positive thoughts. Positive thoughts may not make you run faster, but they definitely make it more enjoyable. You're running a lot of miles. The distance doesn't shorten just because you're grumpy. So, you can run in misery or you can run in joy. The choice is yours. 

7. Say hi to others on the way. I love running (PUN!) into other runner's, especially during my long runs. It boosts my spirits to know I'm not alone. Sometimes I think about how far they may have come. You never know how their run is going, they will probably appreciate the pick-me-up. 

8. You can't do it alone. Although running can be a solo endeavor, you can't do it alone. You may need an iPod, a water bottle, a knee brace, new shoes, or even a friend to push you through.  Don't make it harder on yourself than it needs to be. Use your resources to make sure you're getting the most out of every run. 

9. Take the time to heal. Rest days, stretching, and foam rolling are all important. They aren't always fun (actually, foam rolling is NEVER fun) and it may be uncomfortable at first, but it is always necessary.  It's good to give 100%, but it's also good to recover. Skipping over healing time will only cause more problems in the long run.

10. Giving 100% doesn't always mean perfection. This has been the hardest lesson for me to learn. When you miss your PR by 6 seconds (which has happened) it's hard to say that you gave it 100%. How can you say that over the last 2 hours, you couldn't have sped up by 6 seconds? Run your race in a way that makes you proud. Give it all that you have and don't beat yourself up if it isn't perfect. 


No matter what race you're running, it will eventually end. You won't be running for the rest of eternity (although it may seem like it). The only thing left to be determined is if you'll make it to the finish line and how you'll feel when you get there. Pace yourself, enjoy yourself, and happy running!


I'd love to hear what lessons you've learned from your fitness routine. Leave a comment below and share your knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment